St. Albert’s College is an Autonomous Institution situated at the heart of the city of Kochi, affiliated to the Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam and is functioning under the management of the Archdiocese of Verapoly. The seeds of this portal of higher learning had already been sown when St. Albert’s High School commenced its functioning in the year 1892. On August 18, 1898 the school got the recognition of Madras University. This has been a premier centre of learning for the young male children of wider Cochin area from its very inception. The College owes its origin to the foresight and sagacity of its Founder Patron, The Most Rev. Dr. Joseph Attipetty, the first Indian Archbishop of the Archdiocese of Verapoly. His Grace, a noble prelate of rare vision and saintliness, was of the view of promoting higher education among his flock. It was with this vision that His Grace ventured upon the onerous mission of starting a College. The laboriousness of this colossal project, however, was shared by the selfless and devoted service of the Rt. Rev. Msgr. Alexander Lenthaparambil, the then Vicar General of the Archdiocese. Also in the forefront was the Very Rev. Msgr. Joseph Vaipicherry, who took charge as the Manager of both the High School and the College and also the Secretary to the College Governing Body.
The mission was accomplished in 1946 when the University of Madras upgraded St. Albert’s High School, Ernakulam to a second grade College. The College began to function on the 16 July 1946 in the old High School building with 150 students in the Intermediate Class. Degree courses were introduced in 1947. Subsequently classes were shifted to the new building just opposite to the old school building in 1951. In 1958, when the Kerala University Act came into force, the affiliation was shifted to the Kerala University. In 1983 when the Mahatma Gandhi University was established, the College became affiliated to the Mahatma Gandhi University. Throughout its history, the College has enjoyed the vision and the benevolent services of many great men of God. The Most Rev. Dr. Joseph Kelanthara, who succeeded the Most Rev. Dr. Joseph Attipetty, and the Most Rev. Dr. Cornelius Elenjikal, who then followed, spared no pains and efforts in maintaining the noble vision of his predecessor. The contributions made by the Rt. Rev. Msgr. Emmanuel Lopez and the late Auxiliary Bishop the Rt. Rev. Dr. Antony Thannikot have helped the College in upholding the higher ideals of education. The College celebrated its Golden Jubilee in 1996-97 and there began a new eraof job oriented courses. During the time of the Most Rev. Dr. Daniel Acharuparambil, who was a visionary and philosopher, the college reached new heights in academic excellence. In 2009, the college was awarded ‘A’ grade by NAAC. In 2016 NAAC reaccredited the College at ‘A’ grade for the 2nd time, was achieved during the time of Most Rev. Dr. Francis Kallarackal, the former patron. In 2016 March University Grants Commission granted Autonomous status to the College. In 2017, the college was recertified for ISO 9001: 2015 by TUV Rheinland. The College has also been selected under FIST scheme of DST and Star college programme of DBT. Today, with 20 Under Graduate courses, 12 Post Graduate courses including Master’s Programmes in Space Science and Technology, Business Administration, Social Work and 6 Research Centres leading to Ph.D., St. Albert’s College (Autonomous) is indeed a front-runner in the field of higher education. Under the benevolent patronage of the Most Rev. Dr. Joseph Kalathiparambil, Metropolitan Archbishop of Verapoly, the College is marching ahead to higher echelons in the field of higher education.